W.T. Jackson 2nd Grade Visual Arts Instructional Guide | Ann Dodys
1. The students will focus on using a variety of materials and techniques to model, construct, and compose original artworks.
2. Create artworks emphasizing one or more of the art elements, e.g., warm and cool colors, line, shape, texture, value and the principles of movement, rhythm, repetition(pattern) and special techniques (overlapping, size placement of shapes).
3. Demonstrates proper care and use of materials.
4. Discuses how culture and environment provides inspiration for creating artwork.
5. Explains the use of symbols and cultural icons in selected artworks, such as flags, jewelry, uniforms, products and company logos.
1. The students will mix white with colors to create tints and black with colors to create shades.
2. Create artwork based on direct observation of familiar objects (representational artworks).
3. Describes red, yellow and orange as hot colors and green, blue and violet as cool colors.
4. Critical analysis and aesthetic understanding of tints and shades in artwork.
1. Examines two works of art of the same subject identifying similarities and differences.
2. Differentiates between horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines.
3. Discusses why people make art and the functions or purpose of particular artworks and the culture that produced them.
4. Discusses own definition of art with that of others.
5. Discusses expressive qualities of artwork and gives personal interpretation of each.
1. Explains how space surrounds two- dimensional shapes and three- dimensional form.
2. Demonstrates how artist use special techniques such as overlapping, size and placement of shapes.
3. Identifies radial and symmetrical balance in artworks and in nature.
4. Discusses how artists create movement and Rhythm in selected artwork.